Friday 2 December 2011

Francoise Sagan


I've gotten a little obsessed with Francoise Sagan at the moment and the melancholic atmosphere and disillusionment she evokes in her books.  Her style reminds me a lot of Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night and also another book set in 1920's Paris by a woman author that I can't remember which is really bugging me.  (Reviewers also often link her as having similarities to J. D. Salinger which I'd agree with.)  I've just reread La Chamade (1965) and it spurred me to finally buy Bonjour Tristesse (1954) for 99p off Ebay which is on its way to me.  It was published when she was 18, and I should probably have read it before La Chamade, especially as it is supposed to have influenced Simon & Garfunkel's 'The Sound of Silence' which I love. 

The copy of Bonjour Tristesse I have bought is so pretty as well, which I am a bit of a sucker for:

Hopefully I can watch the film adaption of it soon after as well from 1958: 


Jean Seberg as Cecile in the film adaptation of Francoise Sagan’s, Bonjour Tristesse.

When I read Bonjour Tristesse it reminded me of how little I have read recently, but also how little I have really enjoyed a book in a long time (sleeping over reading has been taking priority).  Luckily since then, whilst waiting for Bonjour Tristesse, I have sunk my teeth into Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami and am loving every second of it.  It's been a long time since I have chosen reading over sleep on the train (which is awful really).  I won't ruin it but the book has talking cats in it, one even likes opera and BMWs.  Another great book from the last few weeks I have enjoyed is The Marriage Plot, Jeffrey Eugenides third novel, which I felt like I was waiting for forever.  I didn't feel overly concerned about the characters within this book and although I do keep recommending because of the effort that is put into research for the book I did find the characters slightly unbelievable and one dimensional.


Now I am waiting with great anticipation for Audrey Niffenigger's third novel The Chinchilla Girl in Excile and Donna Tartt's third novel untitled as yet to be released in 2012.  Hurry up 2012!

2 comments:

  1. Eeeeek! One of my favourite ever quotes is a Francoise one - "The one thing I regret is that I will never have time to read all the books I want to read."

    My favourite Sagan book is A Certain Smile, which you'll certainly enjoy is you like Bonjour Tristesse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hei! I just found your blog and it is amazing!

    I am following your blog and I hope you will follow mine too!

    xoxo,
    Ana V

    ReplyDelete